Wednesday 22 January 2014

SINGLE: Warpaint - Love Is To Die (2014)



UK: Rough Trade - digital download

Must say, I'm quite optimistic about new music lately, and the new year has already spawned a few tracks which have grabbed my attention. I plan to share a few right here, and open 2014's musical delights with this dreamy, hypnotic piece which has really grown on me.

I've heard a few say this has something of a 1990's feel to it, but I also feel a touch of 80's psych-inflected pop as well, slightly Cocteau Twins-ish, with a touch of The Cure's more drifting moments. I might even dare to call it a bit "shoe-gazey", but with something very fresh of its own.

Hailing from Los Angeles, Warpaint have been together since 2004, but have recently been generating a lot of interest with this track, perhaps in part due to its use in a Calvin Klein ad a few months back (not that you should let that put you off).

"Love Is To Die" is available as a download single, and also appears on Warpaint's self-titled album, just released by Rough Trade. The red vinyl edition looks particularly fetching...

More details at http://warpaintwarpaint.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment